Undergoing routine prenatal tests is crucial for an expectant mother who is looking forward for a healthy baby. The prenatal test will assure good health of your baby and indicates if there are any anomalies. If you are a first-time mother-to-be, here is a list of routine prenatal tests suggested by gynecologists in India for pregnant women:
Prenatal Screening Tests
Some of the prenatal blood tests in India include the following:
- Blood group and Rh – This test is used to determine the blood typing (ABO group) & Rh typing (positive or negative). If the mother is Rh negative and the baby is Rh positive then the mother will be treated to avoid complications.
- Complete blood count – This test is used to measure the levels of haemoglobin and WBC in the blood to identify anaemia or iron deficiency.
- Blood glucose level – This test is performed to check the glucose level and rule out gestational diabetes.
- HIV and other STD screening- This test will rule out all the possibilities of sexually transmitted diseases.
- Hepatitis screening – This will check for Hepatitis B and C which may interfere with the baby’s health.
- Haemoglobin Electrophoresis- This test is done to check for Thalessaemia and avoid further risk.
- Hormone levels – Pregnancy causes hormonal rush in the body and hence the thyroid stimulating hormones must be monitored throughout the gestation period for the good health of the baby and the mother.
- Rubella detection – The blood will be tested for previous infections of Rubella (German measles).
Urine test – This is to track if there is any urinary tract infection.
Scan tests are performed by gynecologists to ensure the healthy growth of the baby. During low risk normal pregnancy, 3 scans are performed:
- Viability Scan – This is the first scan performed between weeks 6 and 9 to confirm the pregnancy date and arrive at an estimated due date. This scan is also used to confirm the location of the fetus, presence of fetal heart activity and the number of babies (singleton/multiple).
- Nuchal Scan (NT) – Usually, the NT scan is performed between weeks 11 and 14 to check for any developmental problems or chromosomal abnormalities like Down syndrome in the fetus. This scan will ensure the normal body development of the baby.
- Routine Anomaly Scan – The third scan is performed around 18 to 23 weeks of pregnancy to check the growth of heart, kidneys, brain and facial features. It will detect any major or minor anomaly in the development of the fetus.
Apart from these, if it is a risky pregnancy, the gynecologist might want to go for further scans to check the wellbeing of the baby inside the womb.
Blood Pressure Test: The blood pressure test is regularly performed to keep a check on preeclampsia condition.
The above tests vary according to your health condition and are performed based on your doctor’s recommendation.