LifeCell’s Community Banking - Aligns With The Recommendations Of Medical Bodies And Stem Cell Transplant Physicians
The chance of a baby using its own cord blood stem cells is very low, as most medical conditions require stem cells from a healthy matching donor. Hence, IAP & IMA strongly recommends families to donate their baby's cord blood to a public bank which is a common pool of stem cells. This increases the chances of finding a suitable HLA match and thereby expand the treatment options for Indian patients suffering from serious illnesses.
In majority of blood disorders, the child’s own stored cord blood cannot be used for the same child as they will carry the same genetic defect.
Padma Shri Dr. K. K. Aggrawal, Immediate Past President of Indian Medical Association (IMA) - April, 2018.
Private cord blood banking must be strongly discouraged. Public cord blood banking serves the actual purpose of preservation by providing a common pool of donor stem cells thereby increasing the chances of finding a match and expanding the treatment options for Indian patients.
Consensus Statement of Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) - 15th June, 2018.
Community cord blood banking is the perfect solution to bring technological capability to the masses - leveraging India’s high birth rate to bring life changing treatments available to patients who have life-threatening illnesses.
Dr. Purvish Parikh, Director, Precision Oncology and Research, Asian Institute of Oncology, Somaiya Ayurvihar Cancer Care Molecular Oncology Society - May 2017.
Cord blood transplants in India has been very low mainly due to high cost and limited number of units available. With more than 50,000 cord blood units, the bank shall be able to provide a matched cord blood for 98% of its patients.
Dr. Rahul Bhargava, Director and Head, Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplant, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon.
Likelihood of using own cord blood is very small (less than 0.04%). Hence, the donation of cord blood to public bank is recommended because there is 100 times more likely chance of release of a unit from public bank compared to a private bank.
Recommendations by ACOG, AAP and ASBMT.
Abides by the Recommendations of IAP & IMA
LifeCell's Community Stem Cell Bank works similar to a Public Bank, where parents contribute their baby's cord blood stem cells to a common pool for use by other members of this community. This increases the chances of finding a suitable HLA match and thereby expand the treatment options for patients suffering from serious illnesses. Thus, this banking model meets the IAP & IMA recommendations.
Annually, about 120,000 Indians are diagnosed with different types of blood cancers alone. More than 70% of these patients can be treated if they have Access to matching stem cells from unrelated donor cord blood.
How LifeCell's Community Bank Overcomes Current Challenges of Public Banks?
Bigger inventory of Indian origin samples increases the chance of finding match
- As per ICMR, the chances for an Indian to find minimum matching unrelated cord blood donor in a bank is over 95% with an inventory size of 50,000 samples
- LifeCell's Registry currently has over 25,000 qualified cord blood samples (3X of all public banks in India)
- It is estimated that by 2022, LifeCell will have sufficient inventory to provide a well matched unit to almost all of its community members and their families
Unlimited Retrieval of samples Free of cost
In the event of a medical need, the baby, siblings, parents and grandparents (maternal & paternal) have unlimited and free of cost access to matching stem cells from the LifeCell Registry. They only pay a nominal fees towards collection, processing, testing, expansion and preservation of stem cels
Exclusive Benefits of LifeCell Community Banking
- Complete Protection to the Baby against all conditions treatable using stem cells (own & donor)
- Protection to the baby's siblings, parents and grandparents for unrelated donor stem cells
- Exclusive access to LifeCell Registry for the baby and its family (3x than any public bank in India)
- Unlimited Financial Assistance of INR 20 lakhs for every transplant for the baby, siblings & parents
- Coverage for Bone Marrow or Peripheral Blood Stem Cells Transplant of INR 20 Iakh for every transplant for the baby, siblings & parents
- Continued protection of stem cells to the baby and its family even if the baby's cord blood is of low volume or unfit for processing / storage
- Full Money Refund(except sample collection charges) if your baby's cord blood is used by another LifeCell community member. Your entire family continues to enjoy the benefits of community banking till the baby's entire lifetime
- Free of Cost HLA Typing using NGS (Next Generation Sequencing) for the baby, siblings, parents and grandparents (maternal & paternal)