Preganancy week by week, Pregnancy Care, Tips, Guide Week 26, Month 6
This week, your baby is reaching a step closer to the real world. The baby’s eyes that remained closed all these months will open from 26th week of pregnancy. As the brain wave activity of the baby increases this week, your young one can respond to the external stimuli like noise and bright light through increased pulse rate or any other movement. From this week, your baby’s immune system begins to develop so that he/she can survive outside the womb after child birth.
The ideal weight of the baby is approximately 760 grams (1.68 pounds).
By now, you may feel your baby’s movements inside the tummy because your womb is getting a little crowded; not to worry, your baby still have enough space to move freely. If you have not felt strong kicks yet, wait for few more weeks. Every pregnancy is a unique experience so it is normal if you do not feel the kicks or movements yet. As the bump grows, you may feel hot and your skin may become dry & itchy.
The good news – this week, you don’t have any new symptom joining the long list of pregnancy discomforts. The existing symptoms include pregnancy brain, constipation, bloating and gas, migraines, blurred vision, increased vaginal discharge etc. Some pregnant women experience a drop in blood pressure while trying to get up suddenly from the bed. Always be careful and get up slowly to avoid dizziness.
- Eat iron rich diet such as green leafy vegetables, egg, red meat, cereals etc. as most pregnant women are anaemic.
- Keep your body cool, drink plenty of water and wear loose, cotton clothes in summer to keep a check on increased body heat.
- It is important to check your weight often and if you are not in the recommended weight range, it is necessary to consult your gynecologist.
- Pregnancy brain needs all the extra help to remember things. Try writing down or keep a reminder about any important appointment.
- Read books related to child birth and parenting. Once you have the baby, you may not have time to read parenting books so use all the available time.